Salacgriva Port Authority in compliance with the law „Law for ports” administratively governs the activities in Salacgriva port. Port Authority is the subject of public policy; its highest decision-making body is Port Board. Under its command is execution board, which is run by port manager. Salacgriva port authority was established by Salacgriva town council on the 19th of October in 1994.
The regulating document of Salacgriva Port Authority activities – port authority statute - is approved by the Council of Salacgriva District.
As a subject of public policy Salacgriva Port Authority runs following authority functions:
- Determines port fees and the borders of port service tariff;
- Determines security staff and permit regime in the port;
- Within the framework of their area of responsibility controls the compliance of port regulations;
- Within the framework of their area of responsibility controls the correspondence to law, laws and regulations of the Cabinet of Ministers and respective ports’ authorities statute of port’s trade agency activities;
- Controls the protection of port territory against pollution, provides the elimination of occurred pollution in the port territory, takes part in the elimination of the consequences of pollution in the sea, organizes the collection of rubbish and dirty waters from ships, as well as develops ship established rubbish management plan for ports. The Cabinet of Ministers determines the order of ship rubbish and dirty water reception and the order of ship rubbish management plan development;
- Provides winter navigation in the port;
- Determines the implementation of the regulations of International ship and port system protection codecs (ISPS) in the port and controls the operation of the organizations that are placed in port territory according to port system protection plans;
- Takes a decision on giving a permission to start a planned action in port territory according to the law “On assessments of the effect on environment”.
Port Authority runs following functions on the private rights level:
- Develops port development program project according to the approved Latvian port development concept and respective local municipality development program and territorial planning;
- Manages its properties or the properties that have been given into their possession – hydro technical constructions, piers, waterways, navigation systems and equipment in the port, aquatorium and navigation devices that are in the Traffic Ministry’s appointed managing regions, as well as the infrastructure that is related with port operation;
- Develops and approves estimated costs project for the next calendar year and following five years for the expenditure of financial resources in accordance with established procedure by port authority regulations, and if necessary corrections in the submitted estimated costs of the perspective expenditure of financial resources of the previous year;
- Organizes the construction of the port and the construction of the port territory infrastructure that is related with port operation in accordance with port development program;
- Manages the research of port service supply and demand;
- Concludes contracts with commercial companies regarding their operations in the port to provide and improve port service in accordance with Port Authority’s statute and port development program;
- Within the framework of their letter of attorney handles the port grounds and the facilities, states or municipalities, that are based on port grounds;
- Provides the maintenance and development of the infrastructure owned by the port or that has been handed over, as well as takes part in the development of the infrastructure that is related with port operation.
Effective guidance of vessel traffic in the port and access roads, as well as navigation’s safety state control and monitoring functions are carried out by Salacgriva port harbour-master. The orders of the harbour-master, which are related with navigation safety, are compulsory for all vessels, organizations, commercial corporations, as well as all the other juridical and physical persons.